Despite all the hard work, learning, and the straight up struggle that goes into running a business, I’ve always found that the most challenging parts are mental, and even more specifically, are the moments when you’re dealing with self-doubt or questioning the value of what you are putting out into the world.
I had an experience this past weekend that I connected to those feelings I know that many of you also experience from time-to-time and I wanted to share it with you in the hopes that it lifts you up and reminds you that…
What you do matters, it is important, it has value, and people need it! There is nothing small about what your small business does!
Ready for a quick, lift-you-up story? It comes with pictures!
Okay, let’s go:
Once upon a time, there was a woman pregnant with her first child (hey, that’s me!) and it was getting close to “go time” (December 5th!) which meant she and her husband were tasked with figuring out all kinds of new things that were at their best confusing and at their worst, quite stressful.
How do you perform infant CPR? What is your birthing plan? Do you have all the things you need for baby? Is your home prepped? Are your dogs prepped? All. The. Things.
One question they couldn’t resolve easily was,
“Which car seat and stroller system will you be choosing that best matches your lifestyle and is safest for baby, while it’s also a good match for your car and the cabs that come with NYC living?”
After too much time spent Googling, reading, and strolling the aisles of Buy Buy Baby (where they really want you to buy alllll the things for baby) a chance meeting with other new parents-to-be at an Infant CPR class led them to…
**Imagine Angels Singing**
THE CAR SEAT LADY! Yes – she does exist! This is a business created to help you solve all your car seat questions and needs and teach you how to install it in your car, in person! A giant exhale was released by mom and dad to be.
Yes! You heard it right!
They found a business that existed in their own hometown that was created specifically for their slightly desperate needs. (Some parts of) life became easier again! A weight was lifted off their shoulders. They reached out to her right away and hired her after the first email!
Alisa, a.k.a. part of Team Car Seat Lady had allayed their fears and made things better, safer, happier, and healthier – all due to her business and the expertise she was putting out into the world! She provided the value they were seeking!
Did she have to be Jeff Bezos or invent Uber or Spanx, to provide significant value and make a big impact? No. Does she provide business-worthy, press-worthy value? HECK YES!
So what can we learn from this real-life business (and baby) story?
HERE ARE YOUR TAKEAWAYS…
LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE CAR SEAT LADY ENCOUNTER:
- Businesses, experts, makers, and creators of ALL KINDS are needed by ALL OF US to make our lives, well, work. They help relieve stress, to increase happiness, healthiness, safety – the works!
- There are probably people out there RIGHT NOW looking for exactly what you create, make, teach, or how you serve! They want to pay you for what you do, no matter how big or small your operation is!
- People need to KNOW YOU EXIST in order to find you, hire you, and buy what you’re selling!
- Value isn’t determined by the size of your business! Repeat after me, “There is nothing small about my small business and value.”
- When you share that value with the world, people who use it will help you keep sharing it!
- There is room out there for ALL of our passions, whether they are helping people improve their health and wellness, making jewelry, baking dog biscuits, teaching entrepreneurs how to get publicity, or teaching soon-to-be parents how to properly install and use a car seat!
- You are needed, you are enough, your business is needed, and we are all waiting to learn about how you can improve our lives in your own special way!
I look forward to continuing to help you remember how important what you do is to the world, and helping you share it with them! Be sure you’re in our (free) Facebook group so you don’t miss a beat along the way!
Do you need a few ideas to help you kick-start you on the path to shouting out who you are and what you do from the rooftops? Dive into my (free, again) E-book packed with 35 irresistible buzz-building story angles you can use on your blog, social media, or for press outreach!